from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Examination of the nasal passages by means of a speculum or similar instrument.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. examination of the nasal passages using an endoscope or speculum; nasal endoscopy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The examination or study of the soft palate, posterior nares, etc., by means of a laryngoscopic mirror introduced into the pharynx.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The inspection of the nares with a rhinoscope from behind (posterior rhinoscopy), or with a nasal speculum from in front (anterior rhinoscopy).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. examination of the nasal passages (either through the anterior nares or with a rhinoscope through the nasopharynx)
The removal of the middle turbinated bone permits of inspection of the ostium sphenoidale by anterior rhinoscopy, and pus may be seen escaping from the orifice.
_Rhinophyma_ -- Intra-nasal affections -- Examination of the nasal cavities: _Anterior rhinoscopy_; _Posterior rhinoscopy_; _Digital examination_.
A _diagnosis_ should never be made from the symptoms alone; an attempt must be made to examine the naso-pharynx by posterior rhinoscopy and by digital examination.
If on examination by anterior rhinoscopy, pus is seen in the middle meatus, suspicion should be aroused of its origin in the maxillary sinus, frontal sinus, or anterior ethmoidal cells, as all these cavities communicate with that channel.
Further evidence of its source in the last-named cavities may be gained by finding pus in the superior meatus above the middle turbinal on examination by posterior rhinoscopy.
The tumour can usually be seen on examination with the nasal speculum or by posterior rhinoscopy, and its size and limits may be recognised by digital examination.
A considerable area of the anterior part of the nasal septum is also visible by anterior rhinoscopy, and between it and the middle turbinal is a narrow chink -- the olfactory sulcus.
- Allergy testing, lung function testing, expired nitrous oxide (to assess lung inflammation) and rhinoscopy
But if clinical signs recur or worsen, then we may recommend further testing, such as culture, biopsy, and sometimes other tests including rhinoscopy or CT scan. "
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.