Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To tear; break; rend; strike.
- To make an incision in the ground, with a spade or other instrument, as a line of direction for future delving or digging; rip; scratch; cut.
- n. A slight incision made in the ground, as with a spade; a scratch made on a board, etc.
- To dry (hemp or flax).
- A Middle English form of third person singular present indicative of ride (contracted from rideth).
- n. Abbreviations of ritardando.
- abbr. ritardando
GNU Webster's 1913
- 3d pers. sing. pres. of ride, contracted from
- adj. gradually decreasing in tempo
“Blue is my fav'rit 'colour," ses old Sam, in a tender voice.”
“Of course, everybody wondered at that, and grieved too, for Maaster Roger wur a fav'rit 'with us all.”
“I get rit of unwanted pests that they might have, and I thank them and offer them a pop or food.”
“Putting that thought into action is Paul McCartney, the candid and charming subject of the vérité documentary The Love We Make 9/8c, in which veteran filmmaker Albert Maysles follows the former Beatle around New York in the days after the attacks, as he spreads cheer to fans while organizing an all-star "Concert for New York City" in Madison Square Garden several weeks later.”
“Amid gritty v é rit é details, Mr. Tapa follows the hawk-nosed Dilawar Mohamad Imran Tapa, a sympathetic 17-year-old pickpocket whose scuffling life stifles dreams of escape.”
“It is a wool Karastan, good quality and soft to the feet … I had a packet of rit dye that I bought years ago but never used in a blue jean colour, but added another packet to make the colour deeper.”
“These Brightonian B (rit) - boys perform 'indie-hop', rapping wittily and cheekily over samples of Lily Allen and Arctic Monkeys”
“Whenever I start to wear out a pair of khaki pants I buy two boxes of rit dye (Forest Green and Brown).”
“IndiePA The reduction to Medicare is getting rit of the over payments to insurance companies.”
“A v rit film, a really beautiful, independent story about four families that you wouldn't know otherwise" in the months leading up to the lottery for the Harlem Success Academy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rit’.
A collection of coal mining and colliery terms. Some British, some Scots, and some, Other. Many terms are quite to the point; others colorful and imaginative.
Also see Middlesmith's li...
Looking for tweets for rit.