American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A freshwater food and game fish (Ambloplites rupestris) of eastern and central North America.
- n. Any of various similar or related fishes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A centrarchoid fish, Ambloplites rupestris; the redeye or goggleeye. It is found from the Great Lake region to Louisiana, attains a length of a foot, and is of an olive-green color with brassy tints and much dark mottling.
- n. The striped-bass. See Roccus, and cut under bass.
- n. A serranoid fish, Serranus or Paralabrax clathratus; the cabrilla: found off the coast of California, attaining a length of 18 inches.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The cabrilla. Other species are also locally called
- n. a kind of sea bass
- n. game and food fish of upper Mississippi and Great Lakes
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rock bass’.
how rock is used
List of organism names, common or scientific, with a musical instrument as part of the name, such as banjofish, or words and phrases such as birdsong or dawn chorus that suggest music produced by a...
Looking for tweets for rock bass.