from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A freshwater food and game fish (Ambloplites rupestris) of eastern and central North America.
- n. Any of various similar or related fishes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cabrilla. Other species are also locally called rock bass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A centrarchoid fish, Ambloplites rupestris; the redeye or goggleeye.
- n. The striped-bass. See Roccus, and cut under bass.
- n. A serranoid fish, Serranus or Paralabrax clathratus; the cabrilla: found off the coast of California, attaining a length of 18 inches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kind of sea bass
- n. game and food fish of upper Mississippi and Great Lakes
Sorry, no etymologies found.