American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A shoe or boot with two or four wheels or casters attached to its sole for skating on hard surfaces.
- n. A boot having small wheels or casters attached to its sole; used for roller skating
- v. To skate using roller skates
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a skate which has small wheels in the place of the metallic runner; -- designed for use in skating upon a smooth, hard surface, other than ice.
- a shoe with a set of wheels attached so that the wearer can glide over a flat surface. To move on such a device is reverred to as to skate or to rollerskate. To rollerskate is a form of recreation or sport.
- a metal frame of the size of a shoe, with a set of wheels attached, and with adjustable clamps and straps that permit a shoe to be reversibly fastened to the frame. It serves the same purpose as the roller skate having the shoe permanently attached, but is typically less expensive.
- n. See under Roller.
- v. travel on shoes with steel or rubber rollers attached to their soles
- n. a shoe with pairs of rollers fixed to the sole
“I saw him again at noon when I was stopped by the traffic light at the four corners up on the Loreauville Road; this time he was pulling his suitcase on a roller skate up a street in a rural black slum by Bayou Teche.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘roller skate’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Classic Children's Toys and Games and Amusements
Words containing forms of the verb 'to roll,' with hat tip to the bear's list of things that roll.
Looking for tweets for roller skate.