from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A southeast Asian evergreen tree (Syzygium jambos) widely cultivated for its showy flowers and fragrant, cream-yellow, ovoid fruits that are used for jellies and confections.
- n. The fruit of this plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the fruit of the tropical myrtaceous tree Eugenia Jambos. It is an edible berry an inch or more in diameter, and is said to have a very strong roselike perfume.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An East Indian tree, Eugenia Jambos, widely cultivated in the tropics, beautiful in flower, foliage, and fruit.
- In Australia, the sweet plum, Rancooria cerasifera. See Owenia, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical tree of the East Indies cultivated for its edible fruit
- n. fragrant oval yellowish tropical fruit used in jellies and confections
Sorry, no etymologies found.