from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. New England A second crop, as of hay, in a season.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A second crop of hay.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stubble field left unplowed till late in the autumn, that it may be cropped by cattle.
- n. The second growth of grass in a season; aftermath.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lattermath, or second crop of hay cut off the same ground in one year.
- n. A stubble-field left unplowed till late autumn, and furnishing a certain amount of herbage.
Middle English rowein, from Anglo-Norman rewain, variant of Old French regain : re-, re- + gaaignier, to till; see gain1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)