from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dance of Cuban origin, combining complex footwork with a pronounced movement of the hips.
- n. A modern ballroom adaptation of this dance.
- n. Music for this dance or in this style.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a slow-paced Cuban partner dance in 4:4 time
- v. To dance the rumba.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. syncopated music in duple time for dancing the rumba
- n. a ballroom dance based on the Cuban folk dance
- v. dance the rhumba
- n. a folk dance in duple time that originated in Cuba with Spanish and African elements; features complex footwork and violent movement
Mr. P é rez Firmat suggests that one attraction of the rumba was that it was less threatening than, say, Argentina 's overtly seductive tango: Smooth rather than sultry, the rumba is a dance of courtship, not possession.
Mr. SANABRIA: Right well this is - in Cuban music, it's what we call a rumba arietta (ph), an open rumba.
He retired on his Social Security to fish and golf inFloridaand enrolled in rumba classes where he took up with a Cuban divorcée twenty years his junior.
Kurt's dance partner, Anna Trebunskaya, explains to the happy couple that the rumba is a "dance of love," a "whole conversation: Do I want to?
The rumba is a lot different from the jive, obviously.
The rumba is my favorite dance, I even wrote a post during the last season of DTWS about my love for the rumba.
Penelope Katampe, injuring her face and causing extensive bruising during an April 3 argument at Chez Ntemba, a popular Lusaka rumba bar.
"In the rumba, which is a sensual dance, you work your hips a lot," says Peri Rogovin, owner of 3rd Street Dance in Los
Evan was dancing the rumba, which is supposed to be slow and romantic; Nicole was dancing the tango, which is supposed to be more upbeat.
The rumba was a difficult number to train for because there has to be some vibe and energy for that romantic connection to be there.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.