American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A protective casing of fire clay in which delicate ceramic articles are fired.
- n. Clay used to make ceramic casings.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Another spelling of saggar.
- n. A box or casing of clay used to protect delicate ceramics during firing; a saggar
- n. slang term for a young male who wears trousers very low on his hips, exposing underwear and/or his buttocks or lower abdominals.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A pot or case of fire clay, in which fine stoneware is inclosed while baking in the kiln; a seggar.
- n. The clay of which such pots or cases are made.
- Perhaps alteration of safeguard. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Do you end up with a deep burnt molasses Dulux colour chart sagger?”
“For pressing saggers, there needs to be enough distance to remove the sagger easily.”
“In fact, there is an entire section in the clay-shop devoted to nothing but sagger making.”
“Is the same sort of clay sagger used for the glazed as well as for the unglazed wares?”
“People mining sagger clay (used in pottery) get the same generous 14% federal depletion allowance accorded to people extracting clam shells, oyster shells and spodumene (never mind what that is).”
“Dude, is this the same Russian anti-tank missile used in the '74 conflict against the Israelis? great video btw! no my friend, that was the "AT3 - sagger - Malyutka" guided missile (with wire) .. the Kornet-E started development in 1988 and used by the Russian army starting from 1994”
“Hours before his James Madison football team's season-opener, Mickey Matthews strode into Gold's Gym for a workout late Saturday morning, looking less stressed than a mall-dwelling sagger. ”
“Glover, a 29-year-old former sagger who still admits to an occasional offense, said kids today have taken the trend too far, exposing too much of their backsides.”
“Glover, a 29-year-old former sagger who admits to an occasional offense still, said kids today have taken the trend too far, exposing too much of their backsides.”
“This time, however, it is a more difficult matter to pack it into the saggers since it must neither touch the sides of the sagger nor come in contact with any other piece.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sagger’.
Thanks to everyone who added to this list. (I moved it to a new URL, so all the words added on the first day are credited to me—sorry about that.)
(Here’s the original list with a slo...
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for sagger.