American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Judaism The innermost shrine of a tabernacle and temple; the holy of holies.
- n. An inviolably private place: The clubhouse was their sanctum sanctorum.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the Holy of Holies; the most holy place, as in the Jewish temple.
- n. (Judaism) sanctuary comprised of the innermost chamber of the Tabernacle in the temple of Solomon where the Ark of the Covenant was kept
- n. a place of inviolable privacy
- From Latin sanctum sanctōrum, translating Hebrew (qōdesh haqqŏdāshīm). (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin sānctum sānctōrum (translation of Greek to hagion tōn hagiōn, translation of Hebrew qōdeš haqqodāšîm) : sānctum, holy place + sānctōrum, genitive pl. of sānctum, holy place. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sanctum sanctorum’.
DISCLAIMER: Not for the faint of heart/humerus
There's a backstory, I swear: Arabic has numerous insults beginning with "My dick in your..."
"My dick in your religion"
Looking for tweets for sanctum sanctorum.