from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small crustaceans living on sandy beaches.
- n. See chigoe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small crustaceans of the order Amphipoda, that are found on beaches and jump like a flea.
- n. A small tropical flea, Tunga penetrans; a chigoe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any leaping amphipod crustacean; a beach flea, or orchestian. See Beach flea, under Beach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chigoe or jigger, Sarcopsylla penetrans.
- n. A sand-hopper or beach-flea; one of numerous small amphipod crustaceans which hop like fleas on the seashore.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small amphipod crustaceans that hop like fleas; common on ocean beaches
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.