from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Mexican and Central American tree (Poulteria sapota) having edible brown oval fruit with very sweet reddish flesh.
- n. The fruit of this tree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The soft, edible fruit of various unrelated South American trees, including the sapodilla.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as zapote, which see.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. brown oval fruit flesh makes excellent sherbet
- n. tropical American tree having wood like mahogany and sweet edible egg-shaped fruit; in some classifications placed in the genus Calocarpum
Spanish zapota, from Nahuatl tzapotl.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Nahuatl tzapotl (Wiktionary)