from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A highly seasoned smoked pork sausage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seasoned pork sausage, normally purchased ready cooked
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of dried sausage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A highly seasoned dried sausage, originally made of brains, but now of young pork salted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ready-cooked and highly seasoned pork sausage
Alteration of obsolete French cervelat, from Italian cervellato, ultimately from dialectal zervello, brain, from Latin cerebellum, diminutive of cerebrum, brain; see ker-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Supposedly from French cervelas (Wiktionary)