from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chitinous or calcareous plate, spicule, or similar part of an invertebrate, especially one of the hard outer plates forming part of the exoskeleton of an arthropod.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hardened body part, especially in arthropod exoskeletons.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hard chitinous or calcareous process or corpuscle, especially a spicule of the Alcyonaria.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology:
- n. Any separate skeletal element or definite hard part of the integument of arthropods; a piece of the chitinous skeleton or crust, as of an insect, in any way distinguished from other parts.
- n. A sclerodermatous spicule in the substance of a polyp, especially of an alcyonarian.
- n. A sponge-spicule; a sclere.
- n. One of the elements which by union or coalescence form the skeleton of a coral.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hard plate or element of the exoskeleton of some arthropods
Sorry, no etymologies found.