from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small owls of the genus Otus, especially O. asio, of North America, having ear tufts and a quavering whistlelike call.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A North American owl belonging to the Megascops genus.
- n. the barn owl, Tyto alba.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The European barn owl. The name is applied also to other species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An owl that screeches, as distinguished from one that hoots: applied to various species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any owl that has a screeching cry
- n. small North American owl having hornlike tufts of feathers whose call sounds like a quavering whistle
From the fact that these species are owls which emit screeching calls. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.