from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various chiefly tropical Old World birds of the family Meropidae that have brightly colored plumage and feed on bees and wasps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various brightly-coloured, insectivorous, near-passerine birds in the family Meropidae, especially the European bee-eater, Merops apiaster.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bird of the genus Merops, that feeds especially on bees. The European species (Merops apiaster) is remarkable for its brilliant colors.
- n. An African bird of the genus Rhinopomastes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which eats bees, as a bird; an apiaster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. colorful chiefly tropical Old World bird having a strong graceful flight; feeds on especially bees
From the diet of these birds, which consists of flying insects, especially bees and wasps. (Wiktionary)