from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small European songbird (Fringilla coelebs), the male of which has predominantly reddish-brown plumage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small passerine bird, Fringilla coelebs, of the finch family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bird of Europe (Fringilla cœlebs), having a variety of very sweet songs, and highly valued as a cage bird; -- called also copper finch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common European bird of the genus Fringilla, F. cœlebs, whose pleasant short and oft-repeated song is heard from early spring to the middle of summer.
- n. A name of the Australian birds of the genus Chloëbia, as C. gouldiæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small European finch with a cheerful song
Middle English chaffinche, from Old English ceaffinc : ceaf, chaff, husk + finc, finch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From chaff + finch. (Wiktionary)