from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A name given to various small birds in the plover family Charadriidae, and sometimes used interchangeably with "plover".
- n. A gullible fool.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Decayed.
- n. A European bird of the Plover family (Eudromias morinellus, syn. Charadrius morinellus). It is tame and easily taken, and is popularly believed to imitate the movements of the fowler.
- n. A silly fellow; a dupe; a gull.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of a kind of plover, Ægialites or Eudromias morinellus, abundant in Europe and Asia.
- n. Hence A booby; a dupe; a gull.
- n. An aged, decaying tree: same as dotard, 3: also used attributively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. rare plover of upland areas of Eurasia
Sorry, no etymologies found.