from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a large group of small freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, widely used as live bait.
- n. Any of various other small, often silver-colored fishes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small freshwater fish of the carp family.
- n. More generally, any small fish.
- n. A low-level team, in comparison to their opponents.
- v. to fish minnows
- v. to fish (especially trout) using a minnow as bait
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small European fresh-water cyprinoid fish (Phoxinus lævis, formerly Leuciscus phoxinus); sometimes applied also to the young of larger kinds; -- called also minim and minny. The name is also applied to several allied American species, of the genera Phoxinus, Notropis, or Minnilus, and Rhinichthys.
- n. Any of numerous small American cyprinodont fishes of the genus Fundulus, and related genera. They live both in fresh and in salt water. Called also killifish, minny, and mummichog.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The smallest of the British cyprinoid fishes, Phoxinus aphya or lævis.
- n. In the United States, one of many different fishes of small size,
- n. A name sometimes given to a very small fish of New Zealand, Galaxias attenuatus, of the family Galaxidæ. Also called whitebait. The Maori name is inanga.
- n. See leatherside.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very small European freshwater fish common in gravelly streams
The white cloud mountain minnow is often mislabeled as a white cloud danio.
Husky Jerk in clear glass minnow is the lure that has caught me the most smallmouth and walleyes.
The marabou minnow is silver tinsel wrapped the length of the body and white marabou tied at the head.
This is when i use the pin minnow beacause its a new look to the fish and i find alot of browns hittting it.
If you are ice fishing a plain minnow under a bobber will work or a jig tipped with a minnow or powerbait crappie nibbles.
In brief, Kenya, our white cloud mountain minnow (tanicthyus albino -- or something very close to that) sometimes also called a white cloud danio -- got some new companions.
Tipping these with a whole minnow deadens the action too much; the rear half (tail section) of a 2-inch fathead minnow is just right. 14 colors.
Too bad. they are interviewing an additional candidate, so i won't know anything for another couple of weeks. not that i'm in any rush ... minnow is 6 weeks old today and she'll still only sleep in my arms. but she's smiling and much more interactive now, so i'm having more fun at home with her. and now she's awake!
If you put your pinkie finger in minnow's mouth she will stop crying.
Something similar like white mountain minnow?) who can dart about playfully among the folliage.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.