from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Zoology A shieldlike bony plate or scale, as on the thorax of some insects.
- n. Botany Any of several shield-shaped structures, such as the cotyledon of a grass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several shield-shaped structures in insects, grasses etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rounded apothecium having an elevated rim formed of the proper thallus, the fructification of certain lichens.
- n. The third of the four pieces forming the upper part of a thoracic segment of an insect. It follows the scutum, and is followed by the small postscutellum; a scutella. See Thorax.
- n. One of the transverse scales on the tarsi and toes of birds; a scutella.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A little shield, plate, or scute.
New Latin scūtellum, from Latin, diminutive of scūtum, shield; see scutum.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Neuter diminutive of Latin scutum a shield. (Wiktionary)