from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To discern as separate; discriminate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To discriminate, distinguish
- v. To secrete
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To separate; to distinguish.
- transitive v. To secrete.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To separate.
- To distinguish.
- In physiology, to secrete.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. mark as different
Latin sēcernere, to sever : sē-, apart; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots + cernere, to separate; see krei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin secerno ("to sever"). (Wiktionary)