from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Taking part in a sport for pay but not on a full-time basis.
- adj. Composed of or engaged in by semiprofessional players.
- n. A semiprofessional player.
- n. One whose occupation or work has some of the characteristics of a profession or of a professional.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Paid as a professional but on a part-time basis.
- adj. Like a professional but not as skilled or experienced, more than an amateur but lower than a full professional in quality.
- n. A semiprofessional person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athlete who plays for pay on a part-time basis
Sorry, no etymologies found.