American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Botany Dehiscing by splitting along or through the septa. Used of a seed capsule.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Dividing at the septa or partitions: in botany, noting a mode of dehiscence in which the pericarp or fruit is resolved into its component carpels by splitting asunder through the dissepiments. See dehiscence, 2, and compare loculicidal.
- adj. botany Dividing the partitions; said of a method of dehiscence in which a pod splits through the partitions and is divided into its component carpels.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Bot.) Dividing the partitions; -- said of a method of dehiscence in which a pod splits through the partitions and is divided into its component carpels.
- septum + Latin caedere to cut: compare French septicide. (Wiktionary)
- sept(um) + Latin -cīdere, to cut (from caedere; see caesura) + -al1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘septicidal’.
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
List of adjectives such as everduring that do not frequent common speech and writing. A continuation of my list Adjectival Arcana, which had grown to over 7700 words and had become far too cumbersome.
Looking for tweets for septicidal.