from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a widely distributed genus (Eptesicus) of usually small brown bats, especially E. serotinus, of Europe and Asia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small bats of the genus Eptesicus
- adj. late-flowering
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The European long-eared bat (Vesperugo serotinus).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small European bat, Vespertilio or Vesperugo serotinus, of a reddish-brown color above and paler gravish- or yellowish-brown below, about 3 inches long: so called because it flies late in the evening.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common brown bat of Europe
From New Latin sērōtinus, specific epithet, from Latin, coming late (from its habit of appearing late in the evening); see serotinous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)