from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large heavy boat, usually having two masts and carrying fore-and-aft or lugsails.
- n. A small open boat fitted with oars or sails, or both, and used primarily in shallow waters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of large boat; a sloop.
- n. A small boat, a dinghy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A boat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A light boat or vessel, with or without a mast or masts; a sloop.
French chaloupe, from Dutch sloep, sloop; see sloop, or perhaps from obsolete French chaloppe, nutshell (from Old French eschalope, from escale, eschale, shell, husk; see scale1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French chaloupe. (Wiktionary)