from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ice, street, or field hockey played informally with a ball, can, or similar object.
- n. The stick used when playing this game.
- intransitive v. To climb by shinning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To climb in an awkward manner.
- n. An informal game of pickup hockey played with minimal equipment: skates, sticks and a puck or ball.
- n. Street hockey.
- n. Hockey.
- n. Moonshine (illegal alcohol)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The game of hockey or bandy-ball. See hockey.
- n. 2. The club used in this game.
- To play shinny; knock the ball at shinny.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a simple version of hockey played by children on the streets (or on ice or on a field) using a ball or can as the puck
- v. climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
Probably from the phrase shin ye, a cry used in the game.
Alteration of shin1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Shin (noun) + -y. (Wiktionary)
Variation of shinty. (Wiktionary)