American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A translucent screen consisting of a wooden frame covered in rice paper, used as a sliding door or partition in a Japanese house.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sliding screen used instead of a wall or partition in a Japanese house.
- n. a translucent screen made of a wooden frame covered with rice paper
- Japanese 障子 (shōji) (Wiktionary)
- Japanese shōji : shō, barrier, screen (from Middle Chinese tsiang) + ji, seed, n. suff. (from Middle Chinese tsz). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I closed the sliding windows, with translucent paper for window panes, called shoji, and went to bed, but the lack of privacy was fearful, and I have not yet sufficient trust in my fellow-creatures to be comfortable without locks, walls, or doors!”
“Frames covered with paper, called shoji, slide along these grooves and form the wall between chamber and chamber.”
“The curtain as architectural element refers back to traditional Japanese design elements such as shoji and sudare screens, and fusuma doors common within the traditional Japanese house.”
“DIY paper 'shoji' style lamp made from recycled materials for under Â£5”
“The house design included other Japanese elements, especially an exercise area adjacent to the tub and bathroom fitted with tatami mats and walled with sliding shoji panels.”
“And there was more palaver about the shoji panels.”
“Deryl ordered the shoji panels, and as if this were a summons the Japanese ofuro tub arrived.”
“From early morning until dark between the chunk! chunk! of nail guns and the scream of power drills Gerald was drenched in a waterfall of details of wall finishes, hinges, straps, colors, jambs, shoji panels, tatami mats and Polygal windows.”
“The traditionally constructed buildings had shoji doors, windows, and room dividers along with tatami flooring.”
“Japan does not slide open its shoji doors and give up its secrets easily, but it does invite the gai jin foreignor to enter and indulge in its culinary pleasures.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shoji’.
revising for a competition 30 games
in 24 hours
5-Letter words with J, X, Q or Z
ADDAX ADMIX AFFIX ANNEX ATAXY AUXIN AXELS AXIAL AXILE AXILS A...
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
By David Mitchell
Looking for tweets for shoji.