from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small hammerhead shark (Sphyrna tiburo), the head of which looks like a rounded spade, that is found in shallow waters of the Atlantic and Pacific.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. bonnethead
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A shark (Sphryna tiburio) allied to the hammerhead, and native of the warmer parts of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans; -- called also bonnet shark.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The shovelheaded sturgeon, Scaphirhynchops platyrhynchus, or another of the same genus.
- n. The bonnet-headed shark, Sphyrna or Reniceps tiburo. See cut under shark, n.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small harmless hammerhead having a spade-shaped head; abundant in bays and estuaries
shovel + head (Wiktionary)