American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Wealthy; aristocratic: a silk-stocking district; silk-stocking prep schools.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who wears silk stockings; hence, a person of luxurious habits.
- n. One of the well-to-do or ‘aristocratic’ members of the community or of a party: applied particularly to certain members of the Whig party in the United States in the second quarter of the nineteenth century.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Wearing silk stockings (which among men were formerly worn chiefly by the luxurious or aristocratic); hence, elegantly dressed; aristocratic; luxurious; -- chiefly applied to men, often by way of reproach.
- n. women's stockings made from a sheer material (nylon or rayon or silk)
“Lunch menu €58; tasting menus €80, €120 and €150; à la carte €90Since most of Paris's storied brasseries are now owned by corporate chains and serve wiltingly mediocre food, it's a pleasure to head to one of the last remaining independent ones in a quiet corner of the silk-stocking 16th arrondissement for a fine feed of such well-prepared French classics as onion soup, escargots, sole meunière, steak tartare, roast lamb and other Gallic standards.”
“Allen, who had grudgingly admitted to being the “silk-stocking” candidate in contrast to the rest of the field, was taunted by his own self-description.”
“If you're a fan of bona fide silk-stocking luxury hotels, the Mandarin is a superb new option.www. mandarinoriental.com”
“If Clancy is correct that a silk-stocking contingent from St. Charles Ave did in fact stroke Bernazzani, my initial reaction is: Why don't they like the thought of Arnie Fielkow for mayor?”
“On one side of the room were silk-stocking bank CEOs who had to admit that they had not really used their bailout money the way they promised they would.”
“On one side of the room were silk-stocking bank CEOs who had to admit tha ... digg”
“On one side of the room were silk-stocking bank CEOs who had to admit tha ...”
“You mean some kind of silk-stocking naughty-nurses grindhouse thang?”
“The silk-stocking crowd living in their Uptown mansions on a private street are suddenly concerned about the "process" of property assessments.”
“Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, the Democrat from silk-stocking Manhattan, wants to tax it all -- at 100%.”
‘silk-stocking’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for silk-stocking.