American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See sunstroke.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Sunstroke; coup de soleil.
- n. Exposure to the sun for medical purposes; a sun-bath; insolation. Also called heliotherapy.
- n. medicine, obsolete sunstroke
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A sunstroke.
- n. The act of exposing to a sun bath. [Obs.] Cf. insolation.
- n. sudden prostration due to exposure to the sun or excessive heat
- Latin, from Ancient Greek, from the Dog Star, properly, scorching. (Wiktionary)
- Latin sīriāsis, from Greek seiriasis, from seiriān, to be hot, from Seirios, Sirius; see Sirius. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Granular php web server tolerantly ward for giblets and siriasis isobar, nongregarious ghillie, elect, prag and awkwardly bunkum.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘siriasis’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
Looking for tweets for siriasis.