from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A leguminous tree (Dalbergia sissoo) of northern India.
- n. The dark brown compact and durable timber obtained from this tree.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A leguminous tree (Dalbergia Sissoo) of the northern parts of India; also, the dark brown compact and durable timber obtained from it. It is used in shipbuilding and for gun carriages, railway ties, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large, deciduous tree of the bean family, Dalbergia Sissoo, common in India and Afghanistan. It is much planted throughout India as an avenue tree and yields a very durable, dark brown wood used extensively for boat- and carriage-building and for furniture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. East Indian tree whose leaves are used for fodder; yields a compact dark brown durable timber used in shipbuilding and making railroad ties