from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A beehive, especially one of straw.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a basket
- n. a beehive made of straw or wicker
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A coarse round farm basket.
- n. A beehive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vessel of wood, wickerwork, etc., used especially as a receptacle for grain; hence, a basket, varying in size, shape, material, or use, according to locality.
- n. The amount contained in a skep: used formerly as a specific measure of capacity.
- n. A vehicle consisting of a large wicker basket mounted on wheels, used to convey cops, etc., about a factory.
- n. A small wooden or metal utensil used for taking up yeast.
- n. A beehive made of straw or wicker-work.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large round wicker basket (used on farms)
- n. a domed beehive made of twisted straw
Middle English, basket, from Old Norse skeppa, a dry measure, and from Old English sceppe (from Old Norse skeppa).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Late Old English sceppe, from Old Norse skeppa ‘basket’. (Wiktionary)