from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person impersonating his/her offending spouse in a procession with the aim of ridicule.
- n. A ludicrous procession for the purpose of ridiculing (a person's offending spouse).
- n. A cuckold
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A word employed in the phrase, To ride Skimmington; that is to ride on a horse with a woman, but behind her, facing backward, carrying a distaff, and accompanied by a procession of jeering neighbors making mock music; a cavalcade in ridicule of a henpecked man. The custom was in vogue in parts of England.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A burlesque procession formerly held in ridicule of a henpecked husband; a cavalcade headed by a person on horseback representing the wife, with another representing the husband seated behind her, facing the horse's tail and holding a distaff, while the woman belabored him with a ladle.
- n. A disturbance; a riot; a quarrel.
- n. A charivari.
Sorry, no etymologies found.