from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A blue-white mineral, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl, found in silica-poor igneous rocks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mineral of alkaline igneous and plutonic rocks that are low in silica, of the chemical composition of sodium aluminum silicate with chlorine, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl. Pink sodalite is sometimes called hackmanite. Sodalite and lazurite form the sodalite Group of silicate minerals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral of a white to blue or gray color, occuring commonly in dodecahedrons, also massive. It is a silicate of alumina and soda with some chlorine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mineral so called from the large portion of soda which enters into its composition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vitreous mineral consisting of sodium aluminum silicate and sodium chloride in crystalline form; occurs in igneous rocks
Named for the alkaline silicate composition. (Wiktionary)