American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A blue-white mineral, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl, found in silica-poor igneous rocks.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mineral so called from the large portion of soda which enters into its composition. It is commonly found in volcanic rocks, occurring in isometric crystals and also massive, and is usually of a blue color, also grayish, greenish, yellowish, and white. It is a silicate of aluminium and sodium with sodium chlorid.
- n. mineralogy A mineral of alkaline igneous and plutonic rocks that are low in silica, of the chemical composition of sodium aluminum silicate with chlorine, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl. Pink sodalite is sometimes called hackmanite. Sodalite and lazurite form the sodalite Group of silicate minerals.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) A mineral of a white to blue or gray color, occuring commonly in dodecahedrons, also massive. It is a silicate of alumina and soda with some chlorine.
- n. a vitreous mineral consisting of sodium aluminum silicate and sodium chloride in crystalline form; occurs in igneous rocks
- Named for the alkaline silicate composition. (Wiktionary)
“My fabrick matchtid teh sodalite n teh snowflaky obsidian.”
“Among the stones that I work with: Tigers Eye, labrodorite, opal, sodalite, obsidian.”
“Pantone had a beach party in mind when the color experts named the Top 10 shades for women next spring: tangerine tango, solar power, sodalite blue, bellflower, margarita, cabaret, driftwood, sweet lilac, cockatoo think sea foamy and starfish.”
“The sides of the crater present numerous loose masses, which appear to have been ejected, and consist of glassy feldspar, ice-spar, sodalite, hauyne, spinellane, and leucite.”
“Some people believe that sodalite boosts the immune system and improves communication.”
“The sodalite granite in this room is vibrant cobalt blue and a signature piece in this house.”
“The Brow chakra - between the eyebrows - works with purple or indigo crystals, such as amethyst, sodalite lapis lazuli and azurite.”
“Lapis lazuli is a sodalite family minerals; lapis lazuli of the formula, in which regular part of sodium for potassium ...”
“Other potentially economic commodities identified on the Ice River property include nepheline syenite and sodalite, a semi-precious gem.”
“Thunder Bay; labradorite, finest in the world, from the Isle of St. Paul; spinel from Ottawa County, Quebec; sodalite from British Columbia; pitanite, Litchfield, Quebec; lercon and perthite from Quebec; sunstone and lebra stone from Perth, Ontario, and crown sunstone from Renfrew”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sodalite’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
denoting or relating to stone, a kidney stone, or a mineral
Looking for tweets for sodalite.