from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A moderate purplish red.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A brilliant purple-red dye derived from aniline
- n. The purple-red colour of this dye
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A brilliant deep pink color with a purplish tinge, one of the dyes derived from aniline; -- so called from Solferino in Italy, where a battle was fought about the time of its discovery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The color of rosaniline; an intensely chromatic and luminous purplish rose-color. see purple.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an indecisive battle in 1859 between the French and Sardinians under Napoleon III and the Austrians under Francis Joseph I
- n. a pink dye that was discovered in 1859, the year a battle was fought at Solferino
After Solferino, a village of northern Italy, from the discovery of a dye of this color in the same year that a battle was fought there (1859).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
So called from Solferino in Italy, where a battle was fought at about the time of its discovery. (Wiktionary)