from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sauce made with onions or onion purée.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A béchamel-based sauce containing strained or puréed onions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sauce made of white onions and melted butter mixed with velouté sauce.
- n. A kind of cravat worn by men in the late 18th century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cravat of a fashion worn by men toward the close of the eighteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. veloute sauce with sauteed chopped onions and whipping cream
French, after Charles de Rohan, Prince de Soubise (1715-1787), French soldier.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)