from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for measuring the volume of air entering and leaving the lungs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device used to measure the volume of air inspired and expired by the lungs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the vital capacity of the lungs, or the volume of air which can be expelled from the chest after the deepest possible inspiration. Cf. pneumatometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A contrivance for measuring the extreme differential capacity of the human lungs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a measuring instrument for measuring the vital capacity of the lungs
From Latin spirare ("to breathe") + -meter. (Wiktionary)