from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the thin, platelike part of the human temporal bone or to a corresponding part in other vertebrates.
- n. A squamosal bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the platelike part of the temporal bone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Scalelike; squamous.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the squamosal bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Scale-like or squamous: noting only the squamosal, See II.
- n. In zoology and anatomy, the squamous division of the temporal bone; the thin, expansive, scale-like element of the compound temporal bone; a membrane-bone, morphologically distinct from other parts of the temporal, filling a gap in the cranial walls, articulating in man and mammals with the lower jaw, in birds and reptiles with the suspensorium (quadrate bone) of the lower jaw, effecting squamous suture with various cranial bones, and forming by its zygomatic process in mammals a part of the zygoma, or jugal bar.
From Latin squāmōsus, squamous; see squamous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)