from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with or formed of scales; scaly.
- adj. Resembling a scale or scales; thin and flat like a scale: the squamous cells of the cervix.
- adj. Of or relating to the thin, platelike part of the temporal bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Covered with, made of, or resembling scales; scaly.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the squamosal bone; squamosal
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoöl, and anatomy: Covered with scales; scaly; squamate; squamose; squamiferous or squamigerous.
- Scale-like; squamoid; squamiform; specifically, of a bone, same as squamosal.
- In botany, same as squamose.
Latin squāmōsus, from squāma, scale.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin squāmōsus, from squāma ("scale"). (Wiktionary)