from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants having star-shaped flowers or flower heads, as the aster or the stitchwort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several unrelated plants that have a star-shaped flowers or leaves, but especially members of the genus Stellaria.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any plant of the genus Aster. See aster.
- n. A small plant of the genus Stellaria, having star-shaped flowers; star flower; chickweed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any plant of the genus Stellaria, the species of which have white starry flowers; chickweed. See cut under Stellaria.
- n. Any species of the genus Aster, the name alluding to the stellate rays of the heads.
- n. The genus Callitriche, more properly water-starwort. Also star-grass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. low-growing north temperate herb having small white star-shaped flowers; named for its alleged ability to ease sharp pains in the side
star + wort (Wiktionary)