from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A triangular sail hoisted on a stay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fore-and-aft rigged sail whose luff can be affixed to a stay running forward from a mast to the deck, the bowsprit or to another mast.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any sail extended on a stay.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any sail which hoists upon a stay. See stay, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fore-and-aft sail set on a stay (as between two masts)
Sorry, no etymologies found.