from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. A short straight piece of wood, such as a stake.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stick, twig or peg, especially in roofing or matting.
- v. Regional variant of stab.
- v. To roof with stob-thatch, to make mats with a stob tool.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small post.
- n. A thorn; spine.
- n. A long steel wedge used for bringing down coal after holing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short straight stick of wood
Middle English, stump, variant of stubbe, stub; see stub.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)