from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Calculation of the quantities of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.
- n. The quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study and calculation of quantitative (measurable) relationships of the reactants and products in chemical reactions (chemical equations).
- n. The quantitative relationship between the reactants and products of a specific reaction or equation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art or process of calculating the atomic proportions, combining weights, and other numerical relations of chemical elements and their compounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (chemistry) the relation between the quantities of substances that take part in a reaction or form a compound (typically a ratio of whole integers)
Greek stoikheion, element; see steigh- in Indo-European roots + -metry.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek στοιχεῖον (stoikheion, "element") + -metry (Wiktionary)