from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Measurement of the amount of heat evolved or absorbed in a chemical reaction, change of state, or formation of a solution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The science of measuring the heat absorbed or evolved during the course of a chemical reaction or change of state.
- n. A wide headband that covers the ears, for wearing on cold days.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Measurement of the quantities of heat in bodies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The measurement of the quantity of heat in thermal units (see thermal and calory) which a body absorbs or gives out in passing through a certain range of temperature, or in changing its state (as in fusion or vaporization), or the heat which is produced by chemical combination; the art or process of using the calorimeter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. measurement of quantities of heat
Latin calor, heat; see caloric + -metry.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)