American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several evergreen shrubs of the genus Arbutus, especially A. unedo, native to southern Europe, having shiny leaves, drooping clusters of white or pinkish flowers, and scarlet strawberrylike fruit.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The strawberry-plant. See the quotation under strawberry-wise.
- n. A handsome evergreen shrub or bushy tree, Arbutus Unedo, native in southern Europe. The scarlet granulated fruit at a distance resembles a strawberry, but is dry and lacking in flavor, though sometimes eaten. In Spain a sugar and a spirit are extracted from it. The flowers appear in autumn, when also the fruit, which ripens only the second season, is present. The name is extended to the other species of the genus. See cut under
- n. An evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Ericaceae, native to the Mediterranean region and western Europe north to western France and Ireland.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) See Arbutus.
- n. small evergreen European shrubby tree bearing many-seeded scarlet berries that are edible but bland; of Ireland, southern Europe, Asia Minor
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘strawberry tree’.
Might as well round things off, eh? See the sire list, AIC, and LAK, the firstborn.
Looking for tweets for strawberry tree.