from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or making a shrill grating sound or noise.
- adj. Relating to or characterized by stridor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That which is relating to stridor.
- adj. Emitting a particularly harsh or shrill sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Making a shrill, creaking sound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Making a small harsh sound; having a thin, squeaky sound; squeaky; creaking.
From Latin strīdulus, from strīdēre, to make harsh sounds, ultimately of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin stridulus ("creaking, giving a shrill sound"), from stridere ("to utter an inarticulate sound” “creak, grate"). (Wiktionary)