from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball An out made by a batter charged with three strikes and credited to the pitcher who threw the strikes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instance or the act of yielding nothing
- n. An instance or the act of striking out
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an out made by a batter against whom three strikes were called in a single at-bat; also, the same out as credited to the pitcher, in the scoring of the game.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an out resulting from the batter getting three strikes
- v. make a motion as with one's fist or foot towards an object or away from one's body
- v. cause to get out
- v. put out or be put out by a strikeout
- v. be unsuccessful in an endeavor
- v. remove from a list
- v. set out on a course of action
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The strikeout is essentially the pitcher's unassisted contribution to the game.
A strikeout is not a good out in that situation. ''
Spin: Tough break this year for those in strikeout leagues, but Shields-Kazmir fans in keeper leagues should benefit long-term from this bit of restraint by Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Spin: Moyer generally doesn't have a lot of fantasy value in strikeout leagues, but he's someone who is consistent and reliable.
Gardner: Kazmir might be the top pick in strikeout leagues, but I'd definitely give Haren the edge in 4x4, maybe by a couple of dollars over Kazmir.
Roger Clemens owners in strikeout leagues should expect K's.
Andy Van Hekken, Detroit ($4): Sure, you don't want him in strikeout leagues because that's three categories (strikeouts, saves and wins being a Tiger) where he can't help you.
NL owners will go all-out for Colon in strikeout leagues, thinking he will be their savior after months of owning Cincinnati starters or ones named Anderson.
To me, the only advantage to a strikeout is that you're going to have the mental edge the next time you're facing him, especially if you get a strikeout looking.
Philadelphia starter Randy Wolf, though tempting in strikeout leagues, has not reached seven innings or seven strikeouts this season but has in ERA (7.09). ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.