from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See scrofula.
- n. See goiter.
- n. Botany A cushionlike swelling at the base of a moss capsule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. goiter
- n. scrofula
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Scrofula.
- n. A cushionlike swelling on any organ; especially, that at the base of the capsule in many mosses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology: Scrofula.
- n. Goiter.
- n. In botany, a cushion-like swelling or dilatation of or on an organ, as that at the extremity of the petiole of many leaves, or at one side of the base of the capsule in many mosses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. abnormally enlarged thyroid gland; can result from underproduction or overproduction of hormone or from a deficiency of iodine in the diet
- n. a form of tuberculosis characterized by swellings of the lymphatic glands
Latin strūma, scrofulous tumor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)