Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vex; trouble.
- To start from fright; be afraid.
- n. Trouble; disturbance; vexation; wrath; heat of temper.
- n. In Eng. mining, an extraordinary profit made by a tributer by taking at a high tribute a “pitch” which happens to cut an unexpectedly large body of ore, so that his profit is correspondingly great.
- n. biology In an embryo, an angle equal to two gons. If a mosaic forms in the embryo, the line passes between two organs with a probability, in percent, equal to the number of sturts between them.
- n. obsolete, UK, Scotland, dialect disturbance; annoyance; care
- n. mining A bargain in tribute mining by which the tributor profits.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. Obs. or Prov. Eng. & Scot. To vex; to annoy; to startle.
- n. Obs. or Prov. Eng. & Scot. Disturbance; annoyance; care.
- n. (Mining) A bargain in tribute mining by which the tributor profits.
- Alfred Henry Sturtevant (Wiktionary)
“I am on my way to return my sturt desk to officeworks.”
“He olny sed dam, it nawt sturt wiff F… huh, oh…..dat F werd.”
“Adapted from, or rather suggested by, the _Farewell_, which Macpherson, a cateran 'of great personal strength and musical accomplishment,' is said to have played and sung at the gallows foot; thereafter breaking his violin across his knee and submitting his neck to the hangman. spring = _a melody in quick time_ sturt = _molestation_”
“One man and a boy, working together, had, in their own phraseology, "got a sturt" -- they had come unexpectedly on a piece of rich ground, which yielded so much tin that at the end of the month they received 25 pounds between them.”
“Springs and struts are from an 04 forester that had 40k on them, no grease or anything and the tophats are off 04 STIs but fit over the forester tophats (all 04+ tophats fit on 04+ sturt/spings).”
“It is understood that State Government plans to change the Outer Harbour line from heavy rail to light rail in 2015 "- city charles sturt council agenda 23 nov 2009”
Looking for tweets for sturt.