Definitions

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Of or pertaining to succinic acid

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Pertaining to, or derived from, amber; specif., designating a dibasic acid, C�H�.(CO�H)�, first obtained by the dry distillation of amber. It is found in a number of plants, as in lettuce and wormwood, and is also produced artificially as a white crystalline substance having a slightly acid taste.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Of or pertaining to amber; obtained from amber.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. of or relating to or obtained from amber

Etymologies

Latin succinum, amber (Wiktionary)

Examples

  • It operates the world's first manufacturing plant dedicated to mass-producing a chemical called succinic acid by fermenting sugar from agricultural crops.

    StarTribune.com rss feed

  • Subsequent inquiry, careful research with the refinements of modern chemistry, have been applied to this problem, and they have shown that Lavoisier was not quite correct; that what he says is quite true for about 95 per cent. of the sugar, but that the other 5 per cent., or nearly so, is converted into two other things; one of them, matter which is called succinic acid, and the other matter which is called glycerine, which you all know now as one of the commonest of household matters.

    Lectures and Essays

  • Alar is manufactured by mixing succinic anhydride with 1,1,dimethylhydrazine UDMH, a toxic component of rocket fuel.

    Wendy Gordon: The True Alar Story

  • I wrote for this theme, albeit a little late, at succinic. blogspot.com.

    Come, Armageddon, Come | Her Bad Mother

  • Caprylic and succinic triglycerides also emollients

    Simple Skin Beauty

  • I don't really know how the whole link-back thing works, but here's my post on the current theme: succinic.blogspot.com

    Bad Friday

  • I wrote for this theme, albeit a little late, at succinic.blogspot.com.

    Come, Armageddon, Come

  • (One popular brand lists 11 ingredients, including succinic acid.)

    Japan's Martha Stewart

  • Thus we have come to this conclusion, as the result of our inquiry, that the fermentation of sugar, the splitting of the sugar into alcohol and carbonic acid, glycerine, and succinic acid, is the result of nothing but the vital activity of this little fungus, the torula.

    Essays

  • In 1998, two leading Japanese researchers, Yamaguchi and Ninomiya, published a list of 39 substances they believed to trigger umami, including amino acids, ibotenic and tricolomic acids, succinic acid, theanine, and an octopeptide compound of 8 amino acids.

    Archive 2007-10-01

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.