American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See catechin.
- n. A biologically important organic phenol, having two hydroxyl groups attached to the benzene ring.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as pyrocatechol or *pyrocatechin.
- n. organic chemistry The biologically important diphenol ortho-dihydroxy benzene; isomeric with hydroquinone and resorcinol.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. any of a group of chemicals having a benzene ring substituted with two hydroxyl groups in ortho position, especially ortho-dihydroxybenzene itself (C6H6O2), also called
pyrocatechol, used in photography and as a reagent.
- catech(u) + -ol1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“An additional level of confidence is that a component of the reaction mixture, called catechol, actually kills the bacteria a few hours after it is added.”
“Zhang, F, et al. Synthesis and reactivity of the catechol metabolites from the equine estrogen, 8, 9-dehydroestrone.”
“In the American and Japanese species they are a mixture of catechol and pyrogallol tannins, while they appear to be pure pyrogallol tannins in the Chinese species.”
“Amongst polyhydric alcohols, the behaviour of the methyl ester of catechol, _guaiacol_ was investigated.”
“The compound, or compounds, known as "caffetannic acid" are probably the source of catechol, as the proteins are of ammonia, amins, and pyrrols.”
“He considers the roasting of coffee as a destructive distillation process, summarizing the results, briefly, as the production of furfuraldehyde from the carbohydrates, acrolein from the fats, catechol and pyrogallol from the tannins, and ammonia, amins, and pyrrols from the proteins.”
“Their study included 2,858 white and black volunteers, aged 70 to 79, whose DNA was analyzed for the Val and Met variants of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, which affects thinking skills.”
“Participants 'DNA was analysed for the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, a gene shown in studies to affect thinking skills.”
“Participants 'DNA was analyzed for the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene, a gene shown in studies to affect thinking skills.”
“The ant gene cluster (antRAcAdAbAa) which was involved in the conversion of anthranilate to catechol was also sandwiched between two IS”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘catechol’.
functions of the body, diseases in the body, body parts. etc.
Looking for tweets for catechol.